Tuesday, December 9, 2014

 
Do you like Lentils?
Then you'll LOVE this!

I made my husband Jim a Turkey meatloaf a few weeks back while I was doing Beachbody's Ultimate Detox and have been hungry for meatloaf ever since!  I just am not ready to add a ton of animal protein back into my diet, and every day it was too late to make this Lentil Loaf recipe because I never had the lentils prepared!

Well, I made the lentils and couldn't wait to try this one out.  It is a vegan recipe from the creator of Oh She Glows and it is hearty, sweet, savory and downright DELICIOUS!

(This is her photo)!

It does take a little bit of prep work, but I found that eating clean and healthy using whole ingredients usually does!  This was total comfort food!

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked lentils (I used precooked - didn't hold together as pretty, but was fine)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
3 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup of water (whisk together and set aside)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 cups sweet onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup grated carrot
1/3 cup peeled and chopped sweet apple
1/3 cup of raisins (I used craisins)
1/2 cup of oat flour
3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
3/4 tsp of dried thyme
salt & pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste

Balsamic Apple Glaze

1/4 cup of ketchup
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp apple butter ( I used unsweetened applesauce)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 325*.  toast your walnuts for around 8 minutes, set aside.

Raise temp to 350*.  Rinse and strain your lentils.  Place into a pot with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 40-45 minutes.  Stir frequently.  The goal is to overcook the lentils a bit so you can slightly mash them with a spoon.

Heat tsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Salute the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes.  Add in diced celery, shredded carrot and apple, and the raisins.  Salute for about 5 minutes more.  Remove from heat.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together, season with the thyme and red pepper.

Grease loaf pan and line with parchment paper.  Press mixture firmly into pan.  Whisk together the glaze ingredients, and spread 1/2 of mixture evenly on top.  Save the rest for a delicious dipping sauce!

Bake at 350* uncovered for 45-50 minutes.  Edges will be slightly browned.  Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.  Let cool some more before slicing.  ENJOY!

  I'm not vegan, but if this how the food tastes I may just convert!






No comments:

Post a Comment